Monday, June 19, 2006

Road Rage


I don’t think road rage is altogether a new thing. I bet back in the days of chariots, Major Phoebes of the Roman Army got irritated when Plebe Thaddeus’s sporty new war horse cut him off on the highway, and threw a spear at him, or at least exchanged verbal blows.


I just don’t understand how some people could be so clueless. I love the balding men in the flashy sports cars who are blabbing away on their cell phones, going 20 miles an hour, weaving though traffic. Or the driver eating a hamburger and not noticing that the light has just turned green.


I was turning out of Walgreen’s the other day, when the irritating driver in front of me decided to turn left, out of the right hand turn lane that I needed! I was so pissed. Not only because they were clearly breaking a traffic law, but also because from that particular intersection it is difficult to turn left even in the correct lane. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, a break appeared in traffic. However, this numbskull wasn’t paying attention, and MISSED the chance to go.


I became livid. My blood pressure skyrocketed. My son was crying in the back seat, and the rush hour traffic was unrelenting. Finally I broke, I yelled and banged on the steering wheel,” If you don’t move your car, I’m going to road rage you!”


Unfortunately, I didn’t realize in my irritation that my windows were down. I realized as the driver looked back at me with a scowl on their face. However, my goal was realized, and the car in front of me vacated my lane. I realize in retrospect that the driver could have been packing some heat. I could have become another causality in the growing conflict between drivers. I really should learn to keep my mouth shut, at least when the windows are down.

1 comment:

Azure said...

horrible drivers suck! watch out if you ever come to visit us in Massachusetts. the drivers here are awful. they call them Massholes.