Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Books I've Read -- Summer 2006

I saw something like this on another web site, and thought it was a pretty good idea. I'll leave out the kiddie books. But I do read a lot. Hey, it's more entertaining than drivel on network TV. A summery of books I've read this summer.

Inge: a girl's journey through Nazi Europe--Bleier, Inge J. -- This book, or rather the author annoyed me. She finds fault with everyone and everything. Her insecurity and churlishness infect the whole book. First, she says it is her father's stupidity they didn't leave Germany earlier. After her sister leaves for the US, her jealously is apparent. She is sent to live with her uncle, and she doesn't say nice things about that part of the family either. Her uncle ships her off to live in a group home, and she is angry about that. It's really frustrating, because you know that the people around her are doing all they can. An interesting read, if nothing else. And I guess I can understand her anger. It is just very raw, like wounds that never heal.

A Midwife's Tale -- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich -- A fantastic, if not slightly dry, look at daily life at the turn of the 1800's. The diary of Martha Ballard covers births, deaths, and everything in between. The author draws connections to the diary to cultural changes that were occurring in America after the revolutionary war. All in all, a good read, even if I did skip a few parts. The author got a little long-winded at times. This book has now been made into a documentary on PBS's American Experience.

Hiding in plain sight: the incredible true story of a German-Jewish teenager's struggle to survive in Nazi-occupied Poland, Lauer, Betty -- The title tells you everything about this book. It is a true story of a young girl that manages to elude the Germans with a fake identity card. Even though she has the official card and has relocated to larger city, she lives in constant fear and poverty. Throughout the book, she has several close calls with both German citizens and soldiers. Sadly, she loses many family members to the tragedy of the Holocaust. The most amazing thing about her story is that she never gives up, even when her life appears hopeless and lost.

Double Deuce Parker, Robert B.
-- Okay, as you can tell, this is my new favorite author. A mystery. The main characters, Spenser and Hawk try to solve a double murder, a young mother and her 3 month old child wh
o where gunned down in a drive-by near the projects where they live. Gives a lot of insight on my favorite silent tough guy, Hawk.

Night passage Parker, Robert B. -- The first in a new series by Parker, this book introduces us to Chief Stone. Stone is a cop that has problems, but he is trying his best to work them out. I hate the ex-wife. I wish he would lose her. I don't think he does, because she keeps showing up in later books.

Love stories of World War II -- Larry King -- This was a really good book. A very heartwarming story about how couples meet and came together during the worst of times. Although all the stories didn't have happy endings, it still left you with a warm and fuzzy feeling. This book leaves you believing in romance and true love. Probably not the best book if you just broke up with your significant other.

Stolen Lives: Twenty Days in a Desert Jail - Malika Oufkir -- Malika was born into a life of privilege in Morocco. Her father, a general in the King's army was close to the royal family. She is "adopted" by the king to be a companion to his daughter, who is about Malika's age. She misses her family dreadfully, but feels like she can't ask to go back. The first part of the book describes her life of fancy and luxury in the palace as a pampered child. When she gets older, she returns to live with her family. After her father falls out with the king, he is arrested after a failed coop attempt. In retaliation, her, the rest of her family, and two family friends, are thrown into a desert jail. Unbelievably, they are held in harsh conditions for 20 years. After a daring escape, they are eventually released. Many readers find Malika arrogant and spoiled, however I feel like she is just relating her life in the best way she can. She was, after all, practically a princess. This is a very hard book to put down. I would highly recommend. It is amazing that things like this still happen in the modern world.

No comments: