Friday, February 29, 2008

Take me to Taco Hell

I haven't' blogged much lately, due to the fact that I don't have any interesting things to say lately. HOWEVER . . .

Last night, on my way home from work, I got the mean mad munchies for some Taco Bell.

I try to avoid Taco Hell at all costs, but every now and again I have to have one. I feel some sort of calling for a greasy pile of meat slapped in a deep fried taco shell.

I have found memories of Taco Bell, going all the way back to High School. After working at Burger King every night, I would stop at Taco Bell on the way home and have two bean burritos. because it was the only place open. After staring at the back end of the grill all night, loading frozen chunks of beef and chicken into the grill master 5000, and then scrapping out the grease coated insides, I had no desire to eat a burger. The warm beans, wrapped in a warm burrito, eaten while hunkering down in the old maroon Ford Escort (it didn't have heat) kept me going on the long drive back to my home in West Point.

In college, we lived right behind the Taco Bell, in a shabby 4 bedroom apartment a bunch of us shared. Usually, after a night of frivolity, we would shamble over to que up in the incredibly long line of drunken students all after a late night fix of hot Mexican goodness. One of my favourite memories of that place was standing behind a really huge guy with a toilet plunger stuck on the top of his bald head. As he was tottering through the line, I really thought he was going to face plant it into the floor.

Fresh out of college, with my degree in hand, I started working in a large office building for evil masters. Just around the corner was a Taco Bell. My co-workers and I would scurry like little mice around the corner for our lunch break, and gossip about our witch of a boss, THE MS. SMARTT!! I used to get so pissed off at the Taco Bell, because it would take them 10 minutes to make your taco. There would be a group of pissed off people waiting at the end of the counter, sipping on Pepsi products, anger building as they were denied Taco refreshment. This is when I developed my trademark phrase, "How long does it take to make a fricking TACO!"

Apparently about 10 minutes.

So last night, when I got the Taco Bell munchies, it wasn't' just about fulfilling my need for hot meat in a roll, it must have been about reconnecting with my past. I mean, why else would I want to eat mystery meat at 11 pm?


-

1 comment:

Azure said...

the only time we eat Taco Bell is if it's late and we're drunk. (sounds like college!) every time Ed has his Taco Bell treat, he says "Next time don't let me eat there!"