
It's that time of year again, and I'm having difficulties.
It's the time of year when thoughts turn to crisp autumn leaves, mulled apple cider, and hayrides. It's that time of year when the plump juicy pumpkins seem to be mocking you from the grocery aisles, "Come on, you know you want to plunge a long sharp knife into me, scoop out my insides, and display my carved head on your porch!"
Since moving recently, I've had a really hard time getting into the autumn spirit. First of all, my yard is barren of any type of trees that might actually lend some color to the surroundings. Of course, I can enjoy all the wonderful color around me while driving places, but it just isn't the same. Next year, I think I might just plant a couple of maples and a few burning bushes, just to spice it up a bit.
I recently purchased a few cutesy things to decorate the house with. I bought an inflatable pumpkin because I'm too lazy and busy to actually carve a real one, and two plastic trash bag ghosts that I hung on my porch.
The first day, my fake pumpkin blew away. The second day, one of my ghosts decided to get lost, and the third day, the last lonely ghost decided that we were pretty lame, and joined his buddy. Someone in my neighborhood is probably wondering why all these cheap chintzy Halloween decorations keep blowing into their yard.
But, as I only spent $2 on these decorations at the dollar store, I really don't feel bad.
Halloween has never been my favorite holiday. I think it goes back to when I was a kid. I was usually always a witch, clown, or a hobo. My costumes where made out of various items we had around the house. Part of the problem was that since I was so tall, I could never fit into the cool costumes they sold at the store. On the few occasions we did buy costumes, I usually had to modify the outfit to fit somehow.
I was just trying to get into in this year for my son, who is now 18 months. He is going to be a lion this year. I hope he doesn’t get to scared by all the people in funny outfits.
I past years, I've been a bit of a stick in the mud about the whole thing. I just get really annoyed at having to answer the door bell ever few minutes. My husband loves it, and he usually gets the candy duty. This year, I might take him around to a few houses. 30 something isn't
too old to trick or treat, right?I'll be the really tall woman, wearing a witch hat.
Muhahahahhahahahah
Happy Halloween!!

1 comment:
i love halloween but HATE finding a costume. i want to be creative instead of buying one of the pre-packaged costumes. going to a party on saturday and i'm still not sure what i'm going to be :)
Post a Comment