Our new baby girl arrived on Saturday, Jan 5th. She is cute as a button. She came early, just like her brother, but she was a week older at 36 weeks.
Apparently, I have a problem with getting sick and having complications when I'm pregnant. With both, I had preclampsia, which is a bad thing. Basically, you can't control your blood pressure. It gets all out of wack. In the initial stages, it causes headaches; spotty vision then can progress to seizures and strokes. It can also develop into a condition called HELP, which I had with my son, which causes your liver and kidneys to shut down.
I was really sick with my son. They really didn't catch it very early, and I was working. I was kind of clueless. Finally, when they did catch it, I had full-blown preclampsia. It's a wonder I didn't have a stroke or seizure. I had to be on all these monitors at home on bed rest. When I finally had him, he was born at 35 weeks. He ended up having to spend a week in the NICU with some problems. I was a mess. A TOTAL mess. I was so worried and sick. However, almost two years later, he is a happy and healthy boy.
So when I found out I was expecting again, I was terrified. I took my butt to visit a very good local OB/GYN who told me that it was unlikely I would get the condition again. Apparently, it is more common to get it the first time, and then never again. He said that my chances were about 20% to have it again, but then he checked my chart and said that because I had it so severely, that I would have about a 36% chance.
So he said that really, there was nothing I could do to prevent it. Just try to be healthy, and not overdue it too much. I was told to "take it easy" at about 32 weeks.
When I moved, my new (well recommended) doctor told me the same thing. She began to monitor me closely. She got worried when I started showing some early signs, and then it seemed like I was there every day.
I was really worried I would have another sick baby. I behaved myself, and was on strict bed rest. Let me tell you, strict bed rest is really hard when you have a two year old who doesn’t understand why Mommy can't play and have fun.
Luckily, I had great help from family and friends. Without them, I don't know what I would have done. Special thanks to my Mom, who spent four days with us. She took excellent care of my son. He was really happy to have grandma, and I know she made the situation easier for him.
Thanks to my good friend Claire, who helped out watching my son when I had to make sudden trips to the doctors and for being such a good listener and friend.
Thanks to all my other friends (you know I love you all) who have been so supportive and have offered all their time and love to us.
Anyway, little girl Miller arrived at 36 weeks healthy and happy. She takes after her father. She loves to eat, and seems to be a happy and contented little thing. She got to come home with us, which was awesome, and I got to have all the newborn experiences that I missed out on with my son.
On a funny, ironic note, the new double stroller I ordered arrived on the same day as the new baby. It has been on backorder for six weeks!
Now I just have to get used too juggling two kids. It's going good so far, but my husband is going to be home with us this week. I'm dreading next week, but I'm sure we will get through it fine. Thanks to all!
New pictures are posted on our web site!

1 comment:
CONGRATULATIONS :) she is beautiful!!!
Post a Comment