Monday, April 09, 2007

Dirty little boys




I've noticed that my little boy gets dirty in every way possible. He is a little dirt magnet. If it's not dirt, then it's whatever he happens to be eating.
He refuses to wear a bib. In fact, he hasn't worn one since he's been about a year old. One day, he just started savagely tearing them off and shouting, "NO"! If you even come near him with a bib, he starts flailing his arms wildly. He is a pretty neat eater, so this usually isn't a problem. If he eats something really messy, we just take his shirt off.
His being a neat eater actually has its downsides. He hates getting his hands dirty, so he will just poke at his food. He sometimes makes nasty faces at his dirty hands and holds them out to me to clean. If I'm not fast enough, he will wipe them on his clothes.
He loves the sand box. He hopped right in, and started getting dirty right away. I wasn't getting dirty enough for him, so he grabbed my hand and plunged it into the dirt.
He loves to "help" me wash dishes. If I even think of turning the water at the sink on, he starts scooting the chair over. He gets up on the chair and plays in the water, usually dumping large glasses of water all over him and the floor. Today, I gave him a dishrag and he helped me clean up the puddles on the floor. He thought it was great fun. Then he ran into the utility room and hauled out the broom. He started sweeping the floor.
That's when I decided that this kid thing was going to work out okay. Now, if I can only get him to clean bathrooms and vacuum, then I'll have it made!

No comments: