Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Being a Mom

When you plan for a family, or when you find out a little one is on the way, you DO realize that your life is going to change in a profound way. I mean, everyone tells you so, and you know deep down that it's going to happen, but you keep going on with your life. Sure, you have the morning sickness, back pain, and growing waistline, but for those months before your child is born, you continue along (mostly) your childless ways. You meet friends for lunch, you chat with co-workers about the latest sitcom, and you shop at the mall for yourself. It really doesn't truly sink in until the new one arrives how much your life has changed.

Now, I arrange my day according to my son's schedule. When he eats, when he sleeps, if he is cranky and teething. I make sure to always be prepared. Which means schlepping around a 10 lb diaper bag filled with a change of clothes for him AND me, diapers, wipes, butt crème, bottles, toys, blankets, my cell phone, wallet, keys, and the all important diaper duck. I, who used to dream about reading books to my child, have to remember to do this on a daily basis.

I also have to remember not to curse. Not that I am a bad potty mouth. But when you stub your toe or that flippin box is in your way AGAIN, I have to bite my tongue. You never know what kids pick up.

We waited six years to have kids. I wouldn't change that for the world. I got to hang out with friends. I worked at jobs I hated and loved, and traveled near and far. What I am really trying to say is that my life has changed. I knew it was going to happen. I expected to happen, and the reality is just what I expected and more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

I really enjoy your blog and look forward to reading all about you, Jeff and Scott.
I think every mom on the planet feels the same as you do, enjoy every minute of it!

Miss you,

valerie

Anonymous said...

So where does one get butt creme and does it do anything to cellulite?

-Azure :)