So I started looking on-line today at houses. Not that we can afford one at the moment, at least not until the Indy house sells, but I'm being optimistic. I am amazed (although I shouldn't be) that houses are more expensive here. A comparable house here cost at least $50,000 more. So I checked out a mortgage calculator on line. I might add that the calculator was attached to a builder's web site.
According to Ryland.com, we can afford a $260,000 home. HA HAHAHAH. Don't make me laugh. I guess we could, if we didn't have student loans, car payments, and a family to support. Methinks the company is trying to boost profits?
Sometimes I think that's what’s wrong with our society. People are too concerned with material things. If a person buys a house that is at the high end of what they can afford, that's called being house poor, and I see it more and more around me. Why buy a house and fill it with useless junk if you are only a few paychecks away from being homeless and having that McMansion foreclosed on?
What does our future look like if we don't save for our children's education, retirement, vacations, or a rainy day? We can't just expect the government to pick up the tab or a knight in shining armor to pull out his bankcard.
Anyway, I'll keep scanning those real estates ads. I'm sure we will find something just right when the time comes.
Friday, October 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
get off your soapbox lady...hehe
Ross
Would you like Tide or All? Both work good for me.
the house buying thing sounds so tough. it will be YEARS before Ed and i can get something in overpriced Massachusetts. good luck!
-Azure
Post a Comment