Some of the girls from my MOPS group invited my son and I to a play date. For all those uninitiated, a play date consists of 4-6 children who scream, shriek, and jump around for a few hours in the basement while the parents huddle upstairs with brownies and tea while attempting to share conservation.
As this was primarily younger children, I had hopes that it wouldn't be so crazy. No such dice. Upon arrival of all the participants, the noise level rose to insane decibels and the toys began to fly.
My son is very sensitive to new things. In fact, he would rather we just sit at home all day and play with his toys in peace. When he saw all these new faces, he broke down sobbing uncontrollably, hiding his face in my jacket.
The host wanted to know if he would be okay in the basement with the other kids. Umm, no, sorry. All it takes is for another kid to look in the general direction of my son, and he can't handle it. So we put him on the floor in the room, gave him some blocks, and he was moderately happy.
Then the fun began. I was asked before we came if I wanted a Mary Kay facial. Umm, no, thanks. The last time I did Mary Kay, my face became redder than a grape tomato with a sunburn, I swelled up, and then went into an asthma attack. Needless to say, I'm not that anxious to do that again.
So the consultant set up these cute little workstations with mirrors and passed out tons of samples. She told me that I could try the stuff on my hand, which I did. It was a good thing I did, because my hand did turn red.
As we went through the program, I got a sense about how out of touch I am with makeup. All the girls were talking about their favorite concealers and foundation. The consultant asked one girl if she was an Ivory 100, and the girl replied, "No, I'm a Beige 300." Since I didn't put it on my face, I never got to find out what color I am. I bet its Tomato Red 100.
Then we did the eyes and lips. I felt safe doing the special "Satin Lips" treatment. During this process, the girls were talking about all their wrinkles and the various techniques they use to cover their flaws up. I was starting to get nervous. I mean, I have those unsightly dark circles under my eyes from lack of sleep. I've also started to notice a few lines here and there. I began to wonder if I was missing out. Maybe it was time for me to bite the bullet and make make-up a daily part of my routine.
I have never really worn makeup. I do have some, tucked away in my vanity. For special occasions, I'll pull it out and put it on. I think the last time I made myself up was my wedding. Or maybe a special dinner out with friends. It's not often, I'll tell you that.
If it weren’t for my Grandma Jane, I probably wouldn't even know how to put on makeup. She lived with us briefly when I was 16. She was the kind of woman who always looked like a million dollars. She would dress up just to sit around the house. She would find these fantastic dress suits at garage sales and thrift shops. I don't know how she did it. When I go into a thrift store, all I see is rotten clothes, but she had a knack for finding things. She took me aside, and showed me the basics of face application.
I guess the reason I don't use make-up is because I am who I am. A few wrinkles don't really bother me. I figure it's just the price we pay for living on this earth.
***********
In other news, my son thinks he is a cat. He'll stuff toys and socks into his mouth and crawl around the room with the item stuck in his mouth. I think it is hysterical. His socks get all sopping wet. He protests when I take them away and put dry socks on him. Click here for more sock in mouth pics!

1 comment:
Dominic told me he was a "beast" today...he was snarling, and pouncing on things (like me and sister)
Ross
Post a Comment