
I never thought that I would see the day that my former home state would turn blue.
According to www.270towin.com "Indiana joined the Union in December 1816. It has been primarily Republican throughout its history, and today is the “reddest” state in the Midwest. Since 1940, it has only voted Democratic in 1964, when Lyndon Johnson won a landslide over Barry Goldwater. In both 1992 and 1996, Indiana was an island of red, its borders not touching a single Republican-voting state in any direction. In 2004, George W. Bush defeated John Kerry 60% to 39%"
For as long as I lived there, I felt alone in a sea of Republicans. My "liberal" beliefs were often scorned, and looked on with disdain. Usually, the Democratic candidates for President didn't even bother to show up. They knew it was a losing battle.
So last night, after casting my useless unneeded Obama vote here in Illinois, I watched at a friends house intently as the results came in. The Indiana results refused to show. My Dad, who still lives in Indiana, called to tell me that it would be close. We left my friends house, and when we got home I flipped on the TV to discover in my 20 minute ride home that the election had been called for Obama.
I was shocked! It was over before 11 pm. Obama blew them all away!
But the Indiana results refused to come in. At that point, it was a worthless state for electoral votes anyway, but I just wanted to know.
I had to wait until this morning to find out that Obama had carried Indiana by 1%.
I had better enjoy it while I can, because I'm sure the next election will go back to the Republications. Old habits die hard. It's just a sign of how fed up everyone was that the citizens of Indiana broke tradition and went with "the other guy."
Fantastic!

No comments:
Post a Comment